The Rural Communities Foundation was created in 2014 as a way to distribute archived equity funds back into rural communities where UFA has a presence.
The foundation is committed to giving $500,000 over five years to rural Alberta to improve the sustainability of farmers and ranchers in Alberta. Communities are encouraged to apply for projects that enrich education, recreation and culture.
The UFA’s Rural Communities Foundation Grants support projects that:
- Align with one of the three funding categories of Recreational, Educational Events and Activities, or Cultural Facilities and Programs;
- Enrich the rural life of agricultural, farming and ranching community members who live within 200km of a UFA location;
- Represent a capital project that can be completed within two years;
- Are planned to be available and accessible for community use;
- Have a demonstrated need and show positive impact within the community; and
- Do not duplicate existing services.
Eligible Organizations operating within the province of Alberta, including:
- Federal charitable organizations registered with Canada Revenue Agency (must have valid registration number);
- Non-profit entities formed under the Alberta Society Act or similar legislation;
- Canadian-based non-profit organizations partnered with a Canadian municipal government that will accept the Grant on the Applicant’s behalf; or
- Community service-oriented co-operative formed under the Cooperatives Act (Alberta) or similar).
The 2021 application period is now closed. Applications were accepted from June 1 until August 31, 2021 and the winners will be announced in October.